Monday, October 16, 2006

When is it too soon to bring up the "M" word?

This summer I was talking to one of my very best friends (aren't all of my blogs initiated by some conversation I have recently had with a good friend?) Anyway, we were talking about relationships. We discussed why so many black men are going to Brazil to meet women; we talked about men "being men" and women "being women," and we even talked about trivial things women do in relationships. But one of the most interesting things we discussed had to do with conversations you have with someone you meet, but start to "dig." Now, he was speaking from a different cultural perspective (religion-wise) and in his religion, it is not common practice to date someone before you marry them. From what I understand, when you meet someone, you get to know them a bit, hear a little about their family, and if you think this is s person you could share your life with, the man approaches her father and tells her that he would like to date his daughter WITH the intention of marrying her. Now, I have to say, when I first heard this I had my reservations, and still do, but I try to be open minded. In a way, dating is a bit ridiculous at times, and can cause more heartache than anything....

So I was telling him that I am reaching an age where I am thinking that I could be married someday. He suggested that when I begin dating someone I should let that be known. And, I tried to fight it. "It just doesn't work like that" I told him. I can't tell someone, "Hey I wanna get married" to early in the relationship; they will think that I am crazy and RUN before I really get an opportunity to know them. His point was to just let that person know early, that you have intentions of getting married, not necessarily to that person, but that is a desire. He also said (in responding to me) that if that person runs, that I should let them. If we are not on the same page in regards to that then it won't work. My rebuttal: "Well what if you don't know you want to get married, but as the relationship grows, you decide that you do want to get married." He told me that no woman can make a man want to marry him, and if she succeeds in getting what she wants, she has in a way forced him to marry her/trapped him into marrying her/or he is just settling. Let me tell you, that was a mouthful to swallow, and even though I was completely understanding his points (no matter how inarticulately I am expressing them now), I still have my reservations with this. I do understand, that if you are looking to get married at some point, it would be nice to know if you are with someone who is completely anti-marriage before things get too serious. But, there is still something about it that gives me the heebie jeebies...

Is this something that people do? Bring up the fact that they would one day like to be married early in a relationship? And even if it is not, why am I so hesitant, even after considering his points? When do you bring this topic up, if it is something you are looking for?

1 comment:

GirlNextDoor said...

Girl!!! Can i just tell you that this very thing happened to me this summer. I met this guy (you saw him the weekend before school started). Well, he brought up marriage on the first date. In fact, he said "I have certain criteria for a woman I would like to marry. You meet every area." Okay, not only was I disgusted that he had put together a rubric and graded me accordingly, but MARRIAGE?!?!?!?!?! WHAT!!!! I was so turned off that I haven't called him since then. I guess he got the hint and let me go. Now, had this come up much farther along I think I wouldn't have responded so harshly, but I am not feelings marriage right now. I truly think this is a topic better reserved for sometime after the first, second...naw third month of dating (assuming you've gone out every weekend). Speaking your mind on that too early could ruin something great that maybe would have materialized into something good. But who knows...i don't think anyone has the real magic number of dates before this topic can be brought up. It's really scary if you think about it