Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Questions from a teacher...

There are times when I think I am really an effective teacher. I try to teach my students things they need to know in order to pass standardized tests, get into college, and thrive while they are there, but I also want to teach them things that they need to know, should know, in order to be productive citizens. I want them to be able to "see" the world that they live in for what it is. In order to do that I have to take less conventional approaches to teaching, and teach them less conventional things. I do all of this because I genuinely care about my students, and about their futures, and that is because I am with them every...single...day. It is inevitable, right? So, because I care I put a tremendous amount of effort into each of my lessons. And there is nothing more frustrating when they (my students) are not completely receptive. It bothers me to no end. It worries me, upsets me, and even makes me sick at times.

I try to remember myself as a student, and no, i wasn't always engaged, but I did the work, because I had no other choice, and because I wanted to get out and go to college. I did what I had to do. It is so frustrating when students sit in my class and don't listen, but then come to me after the lesson and ask questions...not because they were not able to grasp the lesson, but because they were not listening. It is so frustrating to tell a student to be quiet and as I'm telling them, they are looking right at me, but still talking to the person next to them, not even trying to abort the conversation. It is so frustrating to give my studnets templates and examples of the work they are to produce and get nothing from them, but blank stares and excuses. But what is so ironic about this is that they say they enjoy my class. I motivate them, get them engaged, have them talking about the lessons even after they leave my classroom, but to get them to put something on paper is like pulling teeth. It makes me question my ability as a teacher despite the accolades I get from other teachers, administrators, and even former students. Am I doing the right thing? Should I move on and allow another teacher the opportunity to come in and do what I can't? Would I be more effective somewhere else? Teaching is hard enough by itself. All of this "extra" is almost too much to bear...

What is a teacher to do?

5 comments:

The Mims-Carr... said...

go back to her list in the last blog and find someone to de-stress with...

or

cherish those "aha" moments when they do happen..

dammit i dont know!

Anonymous said...

maybe you are right....a little "ahem" would make all of this stress go away...

Any takers out there? ;)

GirlNextDoor said...

I'm saying....I feel like Aleia is totally on the same page as me. De-stress and keep it moving.

About the I totally understand the feeling like when you, as a teacher, try to step out of the box and really bring the real world into the room for the students to see and analyze....they shut off and are worried about when the new jordans are coming out or who got in the fight the day before. But, as we know there are those moments of "AHA" that make it all really worth it.

Dumbass said...

hmmm... whats a teacher to do ..
well in reality you have a few choices .. that all lead to two.
fight or flight, meaning either you have that neverending fight as to do your damndest to make 'em get it by hook or crook... or give up, destress, and move on... fight or flight (those words might make sense only in dark recesses of my oddly functioning brain)..
but most teachers seem to opt for the "fuck-it" and destress version.. i mean have you ever seen teachers drink, when they really go to drink, not socialize or spend time with co workers or are on the proverbial prowl ( i mean REALLY look at them) sometimes it is a scary sight....but a necessary evil.
so i feel ya .. it hurts .. it is frustrating ... and it will happen no matter what the group of kids .. be it your people or their people that you teach .. if you could always get all the kids you teach to always listen, pay attention and produce the way you wanted them to all the times that you wanted them to, you would have died and gone to heaven, at which point it would not have even bothered you anymore.
so again ..
drink
screw
sleep
do whatever makes it easier for you to be sorta happy to go to work in the morning

Teaching Mom said...

So,dumbass are you saying that if I choose to fight stress is inevitable...that's depressing!