Tuesday, April 19, 2005

"Samantha" in the City

Sex and the City has been off the air (hbo that is) for almost a year now, but the show still lives on in the conversations I have with several friends, and even on this blog. I find myself talking with my friends about which SATC character is most like us. I tend to feel like I'm most like Miranda...she's my favorite character, and not only because I found myself sitting next to her on the downtown 1 train last fall. She's focused and a bit cynical...two traits that when put together say a lot about who I am. She tells her friends exactly what is on her mind before thinking it through, her tolerance level for bullshit is "zero", and she is a bit of a cluster fuck for words at time even though she relies on her words for a living (she's an attorney in case some of you out of the loop). But for some reason my friends don't have the same perception of me that I have of myself. They think I'm Samantha!!! Now I love Samantha, but if you were to ask me, I'm no Samantha. I think a lot of us strive to be Samantha at times, especially when it comes to having sex. For a majority of the show, she could have sex with anyone without any emotions attached, and as much as we women say this is a possibility for us, I think if we're really honest with ourselves this isn't the case MOST of the time. Some of the time, yes, but definitely not most of the time. She is strong and successful, but I think of her mainly in terms of her sexual escapades and her often inappropriate sex talk. Basically I think of her as the "ho" if you will. Now I have stated that at times I do feel like a ho, but considering my sex record lately, I'm all talk and no action (pun intended!). And everyone knows I'm not getting any as often as I'd like, so my question is...how am I Samantha? Am I Samantha for other reasons??? If so, I'd like to be enlightened because I'm completely in the dark. Now don't get me wrong, I don't take this as an insult, it just comes as a surprise to me.

And yes, I am aware that I'm talking about these characters as if they are real, but I do feel that there is a lot of "realness" about them ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

just a little fyi: i guess the royalites aren't as good as the SATC paychecks, b/c good old kim cattrall is hawking tea over here in england! it's very bizarre seeing her in samantha like attire and character being a bit risque while peddling tea bags!! so bizarre--at least that's what i think everytime i see the adverts!

as much as i like/dislike the show for all of its predictabilites and carrie bradshaw insight, i appreciate thatsamantha represents the most confident and secure of the characters. she does what she wants and who she wants when she wants, and despite the raised eyebrows carries on in her samantha way! how enviable is that?!? definitely a compliment!
:)

realityintimated said...

True, Samantha was the free-for-all groupie in the bunch, but I think she was the most insecure! She just didn't want to open up to anyone or risk seeming like a person with real feelings...she'd rather have people react to the image of her. Now, if you take her strong and sassy image, then I think you have a lot in common with her Latoya, but if you think about her as that frontin' and scared of being completely honest woman, then I don't see the comparison at all. Did I miss some episodes that showed a different side of character? If so, lemme know and I'll rethink my answer...