Monday, January 24, 2005

I Keep on Fallin' - In the City

One thing that the city has done for me is make me more accident prone/clumsy. I have fallen more since I've been here then I've fallen in my entire life. Today, I had a legitimate reason...all ground is extremely slippery due to the blizzard we had this weekend. On my way to the path train, I was walking and slipped into a split in the middle of rush hour. Yes...into a split. HOW EMBARRASSING!!! Why was I so embarrassed? Like I said, I had good reason for slipping. The ground was slippery as hell. But, I was nonetheless embarrassed. And as everyone stepped over me ass, an old man with a cane tried to help me up...yes, an old man with a cane. Maybe it was pride, or just pure embarrassment, but I said (quite loudly) "Oh no...I'm okay." Not sure if I really was okay, but I popped up like a jack-n-the-box. And, like I said, today was not the only instance, but it was the only legitimate instance. I've fallen walking down steps in the same subway station. My foot just completely buckled underneath me, and I landed on both knees on the steps. I've fallen to my hands and knees running up steps. Don't know why, but when I fell that time I said "UH OH" really loud like I was three years old. I fell WALKING up the steps at school (with lunch in hand) in front of all of the security guards...who laughed at my ass. I'm always running into something, and then tripping in my classroom (thank god i haven't fallen in front of my students. they think it's funny enough when i trip over a desk). i fell on someone, or should i say in someone's lap on the train. I fell walking on the sidewalk and skinned my knee really bad (i was drunk that time - so i guess that's a legitimate reason?!?!) What is up with me? This never happened to me back home. Maybe my equilibrium is off, or maybe I'm just getting clumsier with age.

Am I the only one who keeps on falling?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The last time I saw someone fall in NYC, it was a young lady who was wearing a skirt and no panties! Now that's embarassing!!